Undoubtedly the World’s most popular and widely used content management system, WordPress is used to manage around 25% of all newly built websites.
The incredible popularity of WordPress means there is a thriving global community of developers continually improving the core product and developing extensions and plugins to enhance the functionality. We have been using WordPress since its early years (as a blogging platform), and since 2010 it has been our CMS of choice for new projects.
Who Uses WordPress?
WordPress is used by businesses, organisations and non-profits of all shapes and sizes. A quick Google search yields plenty of up to date lists of ‘notable’ WordPress users (take a look) who use WordPress every day to manage their blog or their entire website.
While its not a perfect fit for every project (and if that’s your project we will happily tell you so), it’s is a versatile and reliable CMS that can be used to easily manage a wide variety of websites.
We have substantial experience of customising WordPress, so you can be assured that we can customise it to meet your needs, and after a proper handover you and your team will be able to take control of your website content.
Why We Recommend WordPress
Some of the main reasons we use and recommend WordPress include:
- Easy to learn and use – when we handover a project and provide training, our customers are happy to manage their website on a day-to-day basis. When the project has been properly structured the backend ‘admin’ side of the website is clear, intuitive and easy to use.
- ‘Standard’ hosting requirements – wordpress runs nicely on a standard Linux / Apache / PHP / MySQL hosting environment, the most common hosting setup
- Thriving Community – the open source community around WordPress continually drives the platform forward, bringing continual innovation and improvements
- Extensibility – The WordPress plugin architecture allows anyone to develop ‘plugins’ that extend WordPress to suit their business needs, that means plenty of potential for growing your website or adding to its functionality over time.
- Great for SEO – with the correct setup, wordpress can be great for search engine optimisation
How have We Used WordPress?
Recently we have used WordPress, in conjunction with Woo Commerce on successful e-commerce projects like Kabloom and Wm. Boyle. We’ve also used it to power the trademark registration process on Trade Mark Cloud, calculating mortgages and loans on Glasgow Credit Union, property searches on Threave Rural, and job searching on Clyde Marine Recruitment.